Thursday, April 30, 2009
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Then I think it was the 9th time I saw October Sky that I did a 2000 piece Disney puzzle - I was about 14. I remember it took me about 3-4 weeks and I was so adamant about doing it by myself in the beginning. After about the first week I had barely anything down and I nearly gave up and I just sat there thinking to myself "I'm never going to get this done." I think a couple days later my friends and I had a movie night and we decided to watch October Sky (this was my 10th time) and it reminded me that I didn't need to do things alone. For the next 2-3 weeks my friends came over every weekend and worked on it for 9 hours a day and during the week I would do it by myself. Finally when we were down to the last piece I remember my two friends and I held the piece and put it into place together.
Sunday, April 26, 2009
In other news, my friends and I applied our chemistry knowledge and predicted that a can of soda would explode if put into the bonfire. (PV=nRT) lol and as we had predicted the can exploded but it wasn't a huge BAM BOOM explosion but rather a muffled imitation, which kind of was a disappointment.
The beach was nice. The sunset was romantic. The sand was all over me. It was like any other day at the beach except this time smores and a bonfire were involved.
Saturday, April 25, 2009
Either they need to get more cameras or just scrap the whole camera idea all together because right now all they're useful for is...well...NOTHING.
NOTE: I had my Chem final - A SUPER DUPER AWESOME WAY TO START THE DAY OFF lol
Friday, April 24, 2009
It just makes me feel sick (because of the food - you know that feeling you get when you overeat and you truly feel like the food is stacked all the way up your esophagus?) and still leaves me feeling guilty because I wasted an hour of study-time.
I think my brain has permanently just connected eating and resting together. Now I've just doomed myself to gain the freshman-15 when I go off to college - EXCELLENT.
Now back to CHEM STUDYING - orbitals, reaction mechanisms, colligative properties...YUM-O!
p.s. I can't believe I just posted TWICE in one day - I must really want to procrastinate today, which means I must really want to fail my chem final tomorrow. lol
sidenote: the girl I voted for student body president didn't win, the girl I voted for VP didn't win, and you guessed it, the guy I voted for treasurer didn't win - I TOLD YOU SO. ASB is totally a popularity contest. Also, I want to add that the guy who won the VP position totally exploited his embarrassing childhood to get the pity-votes! I don't know whether to call him clever or pathetic...perhaps pathetically clever? lol
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Monday, April 20, 2009
In other news - my brother has been playing Halo and Guitar Hero nonstop for the past few months and I came across this article the other day (it's pretty interesting).
CHECK IT OUT!
Other than that I'm out of things to write so I'll be back tomorrow with something a little bit more exciting to say.
Sunday, April 19, 2009
CHECK IT OUT:
So if you were ever wondering what a TRUE Ozzi accent sounded like, now you know.
NB: The crocodile hunter accent is FAKE - NO ONE TALKS LIKE THAT!!!
Friday, April 17, 2009
The most unexpected miracle happened this past week!
Until this afternoon I had no concrete idea about what I was going to do this summer. I knew I wanted to do research in a lab and preferably research neuroscience but I didn't have a position.
I applied for two summer programs:
Both are great but they are programs so I was sure they would have strict guidelines, which would prevent me from being able to conduct my own research - a BIG DOWNER!
Well a few days ago my AP Bio teacher emailed Dr. Koob, I emailed him earlier this year asking him if he would provide me with an internship because he researches alcohol's effects on the brain and he has a team under him that studies eating behavior. And GUESS WHAT?
He immediately responded to my teacher and said he would love me to work with him and his team. In addition to that, it looks like I'll be getting a piece of that HUGE $800billion stimulus package because apparently the Fed govt. wants to fund high school students interested in research!! So it looks like I'll be getting a grant! (kind of?)
I AM SO EXCITED! I wonder if this is how you would feel if you got into the college of your dreams (ie MIT). Actually, on second thought getting into MIT would be MUCH MUCH BETTER! But this fantastic internship opportunity is high up there on the AWESOMENESS chart.
So it looks like I'll be spending the majority of my summer in a lab playing with mice and brains - EPICNESS!!
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Best class EVER! I love everyone in that class. We're all scholars and the discussions we have are just awesome. I'm going to miss Mr. Lineback's ridiculous analogies LOL I remember when he made a connection between bonds and match.com and everyone was like "are you talking from personal experience?" LOL!
I hope we finish the year off with a BANG - literally. I think some of my classmates and I are going to try and build a hydrogen peroxide mini bomb after the APs are done.
Looking forward to AP Physics next year. Kind of annoyed about the fact that our school doesn't offer Physics C though. Physics B only contains a limited amount of calculus and only touches on a myriad of topics - there's NO DEPTH!
Well this was a pointless blog celebrating my last chem test - WOOHOO!!
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
If I had to choose, I'd definitely have to go with the haloalkane.
Not only is it holy - HALOalkane (it has a halo) - but tetrafluoroethane (a haloalkane found in air canisters) boils below room temperature and looks bloody AWESOME.
Now it's your turn...which functional group would you be?
Monday, April 13, 2009
Saturday, April 11, 2009
To begin let me give you a sense of who I am with a list of 50.5 things I can accomplish in under a minute each.
50.5 THINGS (I can do in a minute):
Note: #46 will explain why it is 50.5 and not 50
1. Log onto the MIT admissions website
2. Write a blog entry
3. Look at the scattergrams of 21 colleges on naviance
4. Come up with11 valid reasons NOT to do history reading.
5. Read an article on Scientific American
6. Eat one mini burger from Sammy’s
7. Type “I hate the SAT” 23 times with no mistakes
8. Come up with a brilliant dare for someone
9. Look at a cloud in the sky and tell you what animal it looks like
10. Tell you the 7 elemental diatomics – Professor HOFBrINCl
11. Read an analog clock
12. Put shoes on
13. Brush my hair
14. Do a minute of community service
15. Shout at my brother for playing guitar hero for 5 hours straight and driving my entire family crazy
16. Eat a chocolate bar
17. Go from Tutti Fruiti to Regent’s Pizza
18. Not blink
19. Hold my breath
20. Drink a bottle of water
21. Hold an ice cube
22. Run up the stairs in my house
23. Sign my name
24. Swipe my credit card in a credit card machine
25. Not talk
26. Not laugh
27. Keep my mouth open
29. Read in the car before I feel like throwing up
30. Open my laptop
31. Make myself cry
32. Chew gum
33. Memorize 15 SAT vocabulary words
34. Tell a joke
35. Make fun of Asians, women, Australians or all three at the same time (note: I am a female Asian with an Australian citizenship - I lived in Australia for 16 years of my life)
36. Come up with a one word description for everyone in my calculus class
37. Read someone else's weblog
38. Say sorry
39. Wash my hands
40. Sing the happy birthday song – badly might I add
41. Dislike someone – not a good trait, I’m working on fixing it
42. Get bored
43. Accidentally offend someone by telling them the truth – people have called me ruthlessly truthful since I was in 4th grade
44. Make a friend with a stranger
45. Make someone else smile or even better make someone else laugh
46. Whine about homework – actually this is only HALF true because I usually whine for more than a minute.
47. Make a paper snowflake
48. Send an email to my Australian friend listing how terrible America is – I don’t do this very often anymore
49. Make 6 words using the elements on the periodic table (TaN, SAuNa, KISS, ThINK, HOP, POP)
50. Swallow a pill
51. Since #46 only counts as half I’ll add another talent I possess that can be accomplished in under a minute - Play chopsticks on the piano